How to Avoid Problems with Toxic Plants Augusta GA

Itching to get away? Learn more about toxic plants and how to scratch a trip to the hospital off your outdoor adventure list. Please read on for more detailed information in the following article.

Brice Accident & Injury Ctr
(706) 623-3990
1132 Druid Park Ave
Augusta, GA

Data Provided by:
Augusta Animal Emergency
(706) 733-7458
208 Hudson Trace
Augusta, GA

Data Provided by:
Aiyan Diabetes Center
(706) 478-4176
629 Ronald Reagan Dr
Evans, GA

Data Provided by:
Carolina Musculoskeletal Institute, Podiatry
(803) 727-1990
410 University Parkway
Aiken, SC

Data Provided by:
Charlton Judson Pickett
(706) 738-9824
1417 Pendleton Rd
Augusta, GA
Family Practice

Data Provided by:
Georgia Chiropractic
(706) 688-9969
3029 Deans Bridge Rd
Augusta, GA

Data Provided by:
De Graaf Chiropractic Clinics
(706) 452-1906
210 Oak St N
Augusta, GA

Data Provided by:
Veterinary Services
(803) 648-5489
1721 Whiskey Road
Aiken, SC

Data Provided by:
Robert E Shervette III, MD
(706) 855-8866
PO Box 3526
Augusta, GA
Psychiatry, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Adolescent Medicine-Pediatrics
Medical School: Med Univ Of Sc Coll Of Med, Charleston Sc 29425
Graduation Year: 1974

Data Provided by:
Louis Scharff
(706) 733-0188
1 Freedom Way
Augusta, GA
General Practice, Family Practice

Data Provided by:
Data Provided by:

How to Avoid Problems with Toxic Plants

Provided By: 

Toxic Plants

Look but don't touch

In 2004, 25-year-old Canadian actor Andre Noble died of monkshood (aconite) poisoning while hiking in his native Newfoundland. Even though he was familiar with the territory, officials assume he mistook the deadly flower for wild parsley. Aconite isn't the only toxic plant lurking in the North American countryside. Some wild mushrooms and berries can be equally lethal. A good policy to adopt is never eat any plant life you find along the trail.

But you don't have to ingest a plant to suffer ill effects. In Australia, just brushing against a stinging tree (Dendrocnide moroides) has been known to kill humans and even horses. Fortunately, in North America, the most common toxic plants - poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac - just cause a rash. While extreme cases require medical attention, unless you roll around in a patch, you shouldn't require hospitalization.


"Leaves of three, let it be," is a common rhyme to help children identify - and sidestep - poison ivy. Unfortunately, this little ditty doesn't apply to all noxious plants. Unless botany is your passion,

  • Look it up: Bring a field guide specific to the area you're exploring.
  • Stay on track: If you're unfamiliar with the region, avoid areas thick with plants you aren't familiar with.
  • Cover up: Wear long pants and socks if you are traveling on trails or areas known to be overgrown with troublesome plants.

When left on clothing, boots or gear, urushiol (the plant oil that causes the rash) stays potent for up to five years and can cause later outbreaks if transferred to your skin. If you suspect you've trekked through a patch of poisonous plants, you can prevent post-hike reactions if you

  • Rinse off: Rinse off your boots or shoes with soap and water or rubbing alcohol after your hike.
  • Wash up: Wash all of your clothes immediately upon return.

Signs and Symptoms

If you've come in contact with poison ivy or one of its co...

Click here to read the rest of this article from