How to Avoid Problems with Toxic Plants Saint George UT

Itching to get away? Learn more about toxic plants and how to scratch a trip to the hospital off your outdoor adventure list. Please read on for more detailed information in the following article.

Advanced Spine and Rehab-- Dr. William Christ
(435) 767-1855
619 S Bluff St. Ste 400
Saint George, UT

Data Provided by:
Foot & Ankle Institute - Saint George
(435) 216-7186
754 S Main St
Saint George, UT

Data Provided by:
Life Essentials Wellness Center
(435) 216-7210
552 N Dixie Dr
St George, UT

Data Provided by:
Boyd A Carter
(435) 688-6300
577 S River Rd
St George, UT
Specialty
Family Practice

Data Provided by:
Clark John Staheli
(435) 673-6131
736 S 900 E
St George, UT
Specialty
Family Practice

Data Provided by:
Robert M Cope MD
(435) 688-2104
1490 E Foremaster Dr
Saint George, UT
Specialties
Urology

Data Provided by:
Justin Poppe DC
(435) 216-7152
720 South River Rd Ste b110
Saint George, UT

Data Provided by:
Lawrence Chase
(435) 634-0358
321 N. Mall Drive
St George, UT
Specialties
Cosmetic Surgery
Insurance
Medicare Accepted: No
Workmens Comp Accepted: No
Accepts Uninsured Patients: No
Emergency Care: No


Data Provided by:
Douglas Dee Callahan
(435) 656-5323
1240 E 100 S
St George, UT
Specialty
Family Practice

Data Provided by:
Gus Curtis Pendleton
(435) 674-6065
736 S 900 E
St George, UT
Specialty
Family Practice

Data Provided by:
Data Provided by:

How to Avoid Problems with Toxic Plants

Provided By: 

Toxic Plants

Look but don't touch

In 2004, 25-year-old Canadian actor Andre Noble died of monkshood (aconite) poisoning while hiking in his native Newfoundland. Even though he was familiar with the territory, officials assume he mistook the deadly flower for wild parsley. Aconite isn't the only toxic plant lurking in the North American countryside. Some wild mushrooms and berries can be equally lethal. A good policy to adopt is never eat any plant life you find along the trail.

But you don't have to ingest a plant to suffer ill effects. In Australia, just brushing against a stinging tree (Dendrocnide moroides) has been known to kill humans and even horses. Fortunately, in North America, the most common toxic plants - poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac - just cause a rash. While extreme cases require medical attention, unless you roll around in a patch, you shouldn't require hospitalization.

Prevention

"Leaves of three, let it be," is a common rhyme to help children identify - and sidestep - poison ivy. Unfortunately, this little ditty doesn't apply to all noxious plants. Unless botany is your passion,

  • Look it up: Bring a field guide specific to the area you're exploring.
  • Stay on track: If you're unfamiliar with the region, avoid areas thick with plants you aren't familiar with.
  • Cover up: Wear long pants and socks if you are traveling on trails or areas known to be overgrown with troublesome plants.

When left on clothing, boots or gear, urushiol (the plant oil that causes the rash) stays potent for up to five years and can cause later outbreaks if transferred to your skin. If you suspect you've trekked through a patch of poisonous plants, you can prevent post-hike reactions if you

  • Rinse off: Rinse off your boots or shoes with soap and water or rubbing alcohol after your hike.
  • Wash up: Wash all of your clothes immediately upon return.

Signs and Symptoms

If you've come in contact with poison ivy or one of its co...

Click here to read the rest of this article from Nomadik.com